We had another doctor appt yesterday- 17 weeks. Didn't really hear the heartbeat well but the doctor wasn't concerned. Apparently, gas can be in the way! I think his intern/job shadower measured me as well, but they didn't say. My next appt in 4 weeks is the big one- the 21 week ultrasound! I asked if it was necessary to get it then or if we could wait and he said I'm the first to ever ask him that! I explained I've always been a bit creeped out about a baby growing inside of a woman (I know, not very nice, but keep in mind, I couldn't even touch my sister's belly when she was pregnant with my nephew!), and one of Jesse's cousins told me at her ultrasound she thought the baby looked quite a bit skeletal and alien-like; that isn't something someone already creeped out wants to hear, or see. I'm a little concerned about how I'll react seeing something alien-like inside of me. I truly didn't know how I'd react at my 9 week ultrasound, however, at that point the baby looked like a peanut so I was fine. After the doctor told me I could inform the tech of my nervousness and she could turn the monitor and not give us the pictures or show us anything, I realized I definitely wouldn't want that. I'm sure in the moment I'll be very excited, especially to find out what we're having (even though it still hasn't been 100% determined that we will find out!), so on Jan. 26th we'll have our ultrasound, and hopefully find out whether there's a baby boy Von Behren or baby girl Von Behren in here. :)
I started reading "The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy" today and love it. I had to read parts to Jesse, partly because they were funny, and partly to make him understand I'm not crazy or different than other pregnant women. ;) So far, my favorite quote from the book is in the "I think I hate my husband" section- "There is something so infuriating about lying in a hospital bed with your uterus contracting like a bucking bronco and seeing your husband eating something from the cafeteria and watching television. Life's just not fair sometimes." :D I had to read that to Jesse and he laughed. I also had to read him the part about "I want it, and I want it now!", to make him understand if I say I have to pee, I HAVE TO PEE so don't argue with me about having to stop (on the way to the farm, which sometimes seems to be the only time he's in a hurry)! Don't get me wrong, he's been pretty good so far (he's afraid I'm making him sound like a prick and I do not think he's been one, so please don't think that). However, he has commented on when I'm eating again and that really irritates me! So I read him the other part in this same section about when a pregnant woman is hungry and there is no food within immediate reach. "A pregnant woman's hunger is no small appetite." Although I don't feel I've really started eating a lot more or feeling more hungry, sometimes I find myself wanting to eat a random bowl of Tootie Frutie cereal, Cheetos or Fritos, and I justify it by being pregnant; baby wants Cheetos! :) And, I do not want to hear anything out of Jesse about it! :P I did ask the doctor about not feeling an increase in my appetite. He said not to worry about it, and I'm afraid that only means, be patient, the weight gain will come. ;) So far, I've only gained about 3-4 pounds.
This is the bump at 16 weeks. I don't think it looks much different than the 13 week bump! I've still been feeling fine, other than the occasional stomach soreness due to stretching, and sore hips during sleep due to stretching. I'm still reading my daily, weekly and monthly books to get an idea of what's growing in the baby and what's to come. I can't really wear any of my jeans anymore- I wore a couple last week and was very, very uncomfortable. I don't know if I can even wear my dress pants anymore since the last time I did was almost 3 weeks ago! I received my sister's maternity clothes this week so hopefully I can wear a pair or two of her pants. If not, my next shopping trip will be for maternity pants!
Now to Christmas- we had a good Christmas. My favorite gift would have to be our baby bedding that I asked for (and the matching lamp). Click the link to see what they look like :) The room is a light lime green color, so I think it matches the bedding perfectly.
We had wonderful times, first with Jesse's family in Muscatine on the 19th, then my family on Christmas Eve in Ottumwa and in Des Moines on Christmas Day, and finally in Olin with the Von Behren's Christmas night. Someone told me once we have a little one we may not travel to all the Christmas gatherings we are lucky to be able to get to now; Jesse and I believe we will. We're lucky they are all in Iowa and not more than 2.5 hours away. We have always gone to all of them and will do everything we can to continue that.
Well, we're about to enter a new year, with new blessings ahead. We're both excited, but definitely in no hurry, and hope to just continue enjoying the pregnancy. Some people ask if I think it's gone fast or slow; I don't really think either. I also, for those of you wondering, don't have any incling whether it's a boy or girl! Guess we may find out Jan. 26th...
No comments:
Post a Comment